J. J. Donovan House 1201 N. Garden Street John Joseph Donovan was a bit of a visionary. When he came to the Bellingham area in 1888, he served as the chief engineer of the Fairhaven and Southern Railroad. Within 10 years he accomplished a great many things. He platted the town of Fairhaven and constructed […]
Read more "J. J. Donovan House"
Territorial Courthouse 1308 E Street First Brick Building north of San Francisco stands in Bellingham. The Firm of T.G. Richards ordered the building to be built in 1858 as a general store, bank and warehouse to serve settlers in the area. Construction costs stood at $8000. Following the end of the Fraser River Gold Rush, […]
Read more "Territorial Courthouse"
The Pickett House 910 Bancroft Street In the years before he gained fame on the Civil War battlefield of Gettysburg during Pickett’s Charge, Capt. George E. Pickett spent several years in the vicinity of what would later become the City of Bellingham. Pickett was responsible for offering security and protection to settlers in the area […]
Read more "The Pickett House"
The Victorian Cyclist blog writes: The primary function of cycling clubs in this period was weekend ‘club runs’, in which members would spend an afternoon going for a group ride, typically between twenty and sixty miles out into the British countryside. Central to these ‘runs’ were stops for food and liquid refreshment at pubs and […]
Read more "Victorian Cycling Clubs"